Send the link to this shopping list to your nearest and dearest when they ask if they can pick anything up on the way over for cuddles, (presumably with your little one and not you!).
It contains a small selection of the healthier convenience foods available so you can eat when the opportunity presents itself without sacrificing nutrition too much.
The foods below allow you to make simple meals such as beans on toast, tuna pasta with sweetcorn, jacket potato with beans, or soup and sandwiches as well as a selection of ‘on the go’ snacks; ideal when you’re juggling looking after baby’s needs as well as yours.
- Wholemeal bread
- Ham/chicken/turkey/cheese slices
- Reduced salt and sugar beans
- Instant porridge pots (unsweetened is best; with added protein is ideal too)
- Soup; tinned or fresh. (New Covent Garden soups are a good option – they don’t contain too much added salt or sugar and often have a high veg content)
- Wholemeal pasta
- Tinned tuna or salmon
- Tinned sweetcorn
- Baking potatoes
- Full fat Greek yoghurt pots
- Pre-prepared fruit, (e.g. apple slices, melon chunks)
- Bag or pot of prepared salad
The basic premise is that you shouldn’t need to do much more than open a packet; no washing or chopping fruit or veg or portioning out porridge or yoghurt. At the same time though the items above are designed to provide energy and slow release carbohydrates where possible.